Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Let the Journey Begin

www.dennishawkyogamusic.com


I struggled a bit with the name of this blog for a number of reasons.  I could have used American Indian or Native American or Indigenous People and I would have been politically correct.  Then I thought to myself, "Hawk, when have you ever worried about political correctness."   However incorrect Columbus was in naming the First Nations, thinking that he had arrived on the shores of India, the name stuck.  American Indian is a good term differentiating India Indians from the people who first lived in North America.  However, the name probably isn't very accurate for either India Indians or American indians.  Disregarding the etymology of the term Indian (from the ancient Indus people who inhabited part of what is present day India), the term is a blanket term that covers a geographical area both in India and North America and doesn't do a very good job.

When the Europeans landed in India and North America, they chose a term to cover the entire geographical area rather than look at the Individual tribes and nations that lived there.  In both cases (as is Europe), there are many nations, languages, cultures and beliefs.  In India the language changes about every 30 miles.

This is where I am going:  I have had wonderful spiritual journeys in my lifetime.  I started the journey as a Lutheran, --even becoming a minister for them.  (My degree from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis says that I have a Masters of Divinity).  I think that is the strangest degree on the face of Mother Earth.  "OK, now I've mastered God, what's next?"  I spent 20 years as a community organizer and inner-city minister in Milwaukee.  I did that until my addictions caught up with me--and I zipped up north to Neenah, Wisconsin.  The geographical cure didn't take so then it was off to treatment (several).  To quote a politician that I didn't particularly care for (Ronald Reagan),"If you open a door and all you see is horse shit, start digging 'cause there's a pony in there somewhere."  So, I became an addictions counselor and switched spiritual paths.  That's when I met and sat at the feet of some great people (elders and teachers) whom I admire and hold dear to my heart.  This part of my journey is the focus of this blog.  (I'm now a yoga musician and you can find all about that on my website listed above.)

OK.  the journey has begun.

Dedication: C.J. Doxtater, BJ Blackwolf Jones, Bazil Braveheart, "Tinker" Mildred Schuman, John Cappert, Nikki Cappert.

No comments:

Post a Comment